Elizabeth Park lies on 100 acres along the Hartford-West Hartford line. Established in 1896 on the former Charles Pond estate, the park is named in memory of Pond’s wife, Elizabeth Aldrich. Swiss-born landscape gardener Theodore Wirth is credited with the park’s design, including the 1903 rose garden, America’s oldest municipal garden of its type. The Friends of Elizabeth Park oversee programming and maintenance of the rose garden, and in 2010 hired Martha Lyon Landscape Architecture, LLC to research and write a detailed history of the entire park landscape. MLLA drew on resources of the Hartford Room (Hartford Public Library), Connecticut State Library, Connecticut Historical Society and others to compile the 100+ history. Finalization of the narrative is in progress.